‘The kid shouldn’t have been out’: Rap sheet of pregnant couple’s killer revealed

The rap sheet of an 18-year-old who killed a couple and their unborn child on Australia Day, 2021 has exposed a “big issue” for authorities, Neil Breen says.
Th driver of a car that ploughed into Kate Leadbetter and Matthew Field as they walked their dogs in Alexandra Hills could gain parole as soon as January 26, 2027 – six years on from the horror crash.
Justice Martin Burns yesterday sentenced the teen to 10 years in prison with a non-parole period of six years.
“He could’ve been given seven years as a maximum non-parole period; he got a little discount from Martin Burns because he pleaded guilty and showed some remorse,” Neil Breen said.
“I would’ve liked Martin Burns to have given him more, he had a discretion to give him more than 10 years. In the end, he opted for the maximum with a slight discount.”
Following his sentencing, the 18-year-old’s 12-page criminal history has come to light, revealing more than 100 offences in the three years leading up to Kate Leadbetter and Matthew Field’s deaths.
“I think the big issue here is an issue for our authorities to grapple with,” Neil continued. “It’s the fact the kid was out in the first place.
“He’d come before the courts for sentencing seven times previously. Seven times.
“If he wasn’t on the streets in the first place, Kate Leadbetter and Matthew Field would’ve had their unborn son, Miles.”
Press PLAY below to hear Neil Breen’s comments in full